Wednesday, November 9, 2011

April In Paris

Dreaming Paris (A Haiku)
When little makes sense,
It's easy dreaming Paris,
where you'd rather be.

Paris, France...at a tiny glance
Where everything seemed different.  And absolutely perfect.


I love Paris. The food, the wine, the busy streets all bustling with people. Even the air there seems different to me. To see the world and to experience the beauty of culture is an amazing blessing.

An exhausted me at brunch with Ine post arrival.
I was exhausted after my 10 hour flight. There'd been a very unhappy 4 year old whose parents had only brought ear plugs for themselves.  Once I arrived, it no longer mattered - one is immediately swept up by the sounds and smells and sights.  My camera was on fire and there was much to see.



Tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte (1769–1821) at Les Invalides
According to records left by 19th century owners and to the absolute horror of French officials, Napoleon's penis was removed after his death in 1821 during the autopsy by a clearly twisted doctor, then smuggled back to France by his chaplain. Wow. In the meantime, why I keep such trivial info in my head remains a medical mystery, and why I've decided to share it here simply has no explanation.



Arc de Triomph
Located on the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomph (Triumphal Arch) is an amazing monument commissioned by Napoleon in 1806 to honor those who fought and died for France.

Golden Mime
Mime performing outside Notre Dam



James Brown is loved in Paris
This cafe' owner welcomed me with a dance and blaring appreciation for the Godfather of Soul.


A Writer in Paradise


Boating on the River Sienne
This was a day of adventure.  The bridge to the left served as shelter to the young boy in the pic 'Paris Underground' below...

Paris Underground
 Treasure Troll (Evans)
The day was growing late. I slowly made my way back toward Le' Hotel Kensington; my camera clicking away with a mind of its own. It excited for the delectable French canard that awaited me. I'd been craving the smells from a cafe' near the hotel. I saw a little boy sitting on a bridge across the river Seine.  He looked lost in his body, but he was no fool - the boy had a sly eye and major game.  He played music on the bridge for money.  I didn't want to be late, but I couldn't stop myself.  I asked him in my broken French if I could take a shot of him playing.  He nodded - one eye on me, one on the world around us. He put most of a deck of cards he had on the inside of his jacket.  The rest you see clipped to his left sleve.  Here is his attempt to smile for me - it was just a few seconds - a slice of time and space. It ceased when a group of boys came upon us, calling him names.  The fear in his eyes was one I'd seen before.  I asked him to play 'La Vie en Rose' for me as loudly as he could.

And from this very spot, he began to play.  The sound was haunting and magical, like a call for help, and scores of people crossing the bridge began to gather round.  He played and played his little heart out.  In lieu of the crowd, his bigoted tormentors would be on their way...for now. 

For his trouble, the boy had gathered quite a bit of money.  As I walked away, he disappeared beneath the bridge to count his earnings.  It wasn't until much later that I realized he hadn't spoken one word.


A Fun Night In Paris
Wonderful travel companions.



Notre Dame de Paris
Entrance at Notre Dame


Inside Notre Dame

Notre Dame is a most beautiful structure.  It was by far my favorite excursion - an intensely moving experience - my sanctuary, just as it had been for millions before me.  I visited Notre Dame several times.  The archetecture is amazing.  The medeval gargoyles snarl from the heights of it.  The rose windows are magnificent - didn't get a good shot, though. 

I was far too busy praying.

Copyright © Arkay Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peace friends, and thanks for checking out my blog! I welcome creative ideas and constructive feedback. Be sure to stop by and visit my website at www.arkayevans.com. Be True to the God in You. Cheers, Arkay